September 13, 2011

The First Computer I really Bought

The first computer I really had was a ZX Spectrum, the year was 1984, and the future looked bright if you only knew how to program in BASIC. but I didn't buy this computer, my parents bought it for me, I was only 14 at the time, so stands to reason.
The first computer I bought was a Pentium 90, top of the line model for 1995. I just finished my BA and moved to Haifa. It had cost 6,500 NIS, thus a bit more than 2,000$ at the time. I really couldn't afford it, but I needed a computer. I did some serious work using Word 5 (Word 6 was too hard to obtain at the time), and I played on it. Little big adventure.
So what's the point of this astounding confession? that 2,000$ bought you a lot less computer then than 84.95$ can buy you now. Obviously some guys in Israel at the time made some money from assembling my computer. I hope thay found another job they can do by now, because it pays A LOT less nowadays.
To sum it all up, If you try to measure a computer as a part of GDP you will get nonsense, because the numbers are meaningless as prices keep going down all the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment