June 19, 2012

Back in 2000 I really loved Ask Jeeves!

When I started using the internet graphically, in late 1995, I loved Yahoo.
I loved the whole 'browsing down a file system' experience. It reminded me of going to the library, and this library was growing every day!
Then Altavista came along, and it was really cool! it found what I wanted... mostly.



After that it started to clutter with other search engines, and I knew what I had to do: ask Jeeves!
"Jeeves" was the name of the "gentleman's personal gentleman", or valet, fetching answers to any question asked. This character, based on Jeeves, Bertie Wooster's fictional valet from the works of P. G. Wodehouse, was really good at finding answers on the World Wide Web, because it brought answers from five different search engines and you could pick your favorite.
I really don't remember why I finally switched to Google, But I think there were three major reasons:
  • Google Image search,
  • Google was waaay better in Hebrew,
  • At one point or another the Ask people stopped showing other search engines, and focused on their own engine. pity.




No comments:

Post a Comment